Visa-free Transit Process
Step 1: Obtain a "Receipt of Report" from the Police Station. The loss or theft of a foreign passport must first be reported to the Police Station closest to where the loss/theft occurred. A receipt will be issued by the Police Station.
Step 2: Obtain a "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport" from the Exit and Entry Administration Department.
To obtain a "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport", you must provide the following:
1. Original and photocopy of "Receipt of Report" from the Police Station where the passport was lost/stolen (see Step 1);
2. Two (2) recent photographs for Foreigners in Guangdong Province and a receipt of such photograph;
3. Report Form with completed statement regarding the lost or stolen of passport. Leave the name and telephone number of your contact person in Guangdong. (Forms are available on the 2nd floor of the Exit and Entry Administration Department.)
4. Photocopy of evidence for your nationality or citizenship in a foreign country (passport, ID card etc.);
5. Registration Form of Temporary Residence;
6. Photocopy of your Foreigner's Residence Permit, if you are a Foreigner's Residence Permit holder;
7. Other documents considered as necessary by the public security authority.
It will normally take two working days for processing upon receipt of all the required documents.
Step 3: Apply for a new passport or replacing certificates at your embassy or consulate in China
The validity of a "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport" is 30 days.Within 30 days, you must apply for a new passport or replacing certificate at your embassy or consulate in China and apply for a visa or residence permit to the Exit and Entry Administration Division of the Public Security Bureau with this "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport". Those who failed to finish such proceedings within 30 days will constitute illegal stay in China and will be punished according to the law.
Step 4: Obtain a Chinese visa or Residence Permit from the Exit and Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau. To make sure you can continue your stay in China or exit china, you must apply for a new Chinese visa or Residence Permit to the Exit and Entry Administration Division of the Public Security Bureau immediately after you get a new passport or replacing certifications.
See Visa or Residence Permit
It will normally take five working days for processing upon receipt of all the required Documents.
Visa replacement and extension
(1) A foreign visitor whose passport is lost or stolen should provide a certificate issued by the entry and exit department of the local public security bureau or a statement from the embassy or consulate of his or her home country in China proving that his or her passport has been lost or stolen.
A foreign visitor whose passport is about to expire or passport visa pages are close to full and therefore must request a new passport, should present his or her passport with which he or she has entered China, to the proper authorities for replacement or renewal.
(2) In the case of an infant born in China and thus bearing an independent passport, his or her birth certificate and a photocopy of his or her parents' foreign passports should be presented.
A foreign visitor who wishes to extend his or her stay in the PRC or change the type or content of his or her visa should file an application with the relevant government agency in a timely manner according to the following procedures:
(1) Present his or her passport, visa and other required identification papers;
(2) Fill out the visa extension or visa change application form;
(3) Provide a certificate justifying the reason for the visa extension or change.
Fee and payments for visa
How to apply a Chinese visa
Visa types, validity, number of entries and duration of stay